From Scooter C <scoo...@scootersdesk.com>
Subject Scooter's Rant of the month
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:19:25 GMT
Good Evening Group,

My rant of the month:

I have been a exclusive user of Open Office for the past 11 years. I
USED to use Microsoft's Office Suit, but my home business couldn't
afford the expense. My last usage was 2005. when OOo developed the
database I had no reason to stay with Microsoft. It wasn't because of
poor operation, it was due to Costs.

My comfort zone was shattered in 2010. Everything about Open Office was
in perceived danger of collapsing. [I know it didn't, but it seemed that
all that was familiar was about to disappear.] I'm a user of software, I
don't program.
I was worried that I'd loose an excellent word processor and spreadsheet
editor.

I have a perfect (paid for) PIM program that I am more then happy with
so the database part of OOo was no longer a big deal.

I'm not impressed with Apache Foundation. OOo just worked. AOO doesn't
most of the time.
I upgraded to AOO 3.4.1 today and the dictionary is no longer working.

This group is doing a wonderful job of helping us through these
teeth-grinding episodes of not quite together software; but it was never
this worrisome bad during the previous 5-10 years!

“If it ain't broke, don't fix it” seems to have escaped Apache
Foundation. And yes, I am complaining, I've had quite a few years of a
trusted GREAT program suit with nary a complaint, but I've lost my
trust. I assume Apache Foundation will get it back up and running
smoothly again, but gee-whiz how long is it going to take?

Newcomers to Open Office may start to wonder what's so great after
trying to deal with all these mishaps. I can no longer brag about Open
Office, at least not the Apache version. Maybe I should switch back to
LibreOffice, I didn't give it much of a trial. Not knowing where the
“real” OO went to.

I'm better educated on Open Office's history.

This is a great explanation of its History:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice

The inner circle turmoil must have been awful.

I'll wait it out a few more months. If REAL improvement starts to show,
I'll reassess.

Take Care.
Scooter
College Park, MD USA