From Dale Erwin <d...@casaerwin.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spell checker underlining
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 20:59:31 GMT
On 8/8/2012 3:42 AM, Gerrit Schünemann wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> My thought is that underlining is sufficient.  An article in the
>> Sunday NY Times (5 August) entitled "Auto Crrect Ths" examines
>> reasons that this would be a bad idea. If the writer is unsure of
>> the word or its spelling, he can always go to Artha and look it
>> up.  (Artha offers various suggestions if the word is misspelled.)
>
> If I may quote the article:
>
> "One more thing to worry about: the better Autocorrect gets, the more we
> will come to rely on it. It’s happening already. People who yesterday
> unlearned arithmetic will soon forget how to spell. One by one we are
> outsourcing our mental functions to the global prosthetic brain. "
>
> That is just what I mean to say. A word is underlined because it's
> misspelled. You right click on it and accept the suggestion. And you
> learn next to nothing. If you just had a marker telling you, where the
> mistake was made, that would be different.
> While it is true that you can look it up using Artha (not to think about
> usability), you can also look it up in the suggestions. But you still
> have to check letter by letter at which point you did a mistake, which
> is quite time consuming on long words.

I like spell-check because I make lots of typos not because I don't know
how to spell.  Just showing me the misspelled word is sufficient.  Of
course even that doesn't prevent all mistakes.  Many times my typos
result in a different word but not a misspelled word.

--
Dale Erwin
Lurigancho, Lima 15 PERU

http://leather.casaerwin.org