From Dan <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spell checker underlining
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 22:32:18 GMT
Dale Erwin wrote:
> On 8/7/2012 8:43 AM, Gerrit Sch√ľnemann wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Whilst writing a text today, making a lot of typos, I realized that an
>> update for the underlining functionality would be a good idea:
>>
>> It would be a nice feature if the misspelled word wasn't just
>> underlined, but the difference to the nearest word from the dictionary
>> was marked (maybe different colour underlining or different style).
>>
>> What is the general thought on that?
>

> I would like sometimes to be able to turn off even the underlining.  I do a lot of work
> using more than one language in the same text.  So far, I've not been able to find a
way
> to handle that with the current spell-checking function.
>
> I do like the spell-checking function.  I find it a real help, but I feel that the
> underlining is sufficient for me to see my errors... in most instances.  I write many
> documents in English concerning the Neapolitan language.  When a page has from 1/3 to
2/3
> of all the words underlined, with maybe only one or two words that are actually
> misspelled, it doesn't help much.
>
> Is it possible to turn this off but only for certain documents?

      To turn off the spell-checking function, click the tool that has an ABC with a wavy

line under it.
      You can spell check a document containing more than one language if you use styles:

paragraph or character styles. However, you must have a dictionary installed each of the
languages you are using. If your document contains paragraphs of a language, you can
select that language in a new paragraph style and apply the style to those paragraphs. If

you are using more than one language in a single paragraph, create a new character style
for each language. Then apply the new style to individual words of that language.
      Get the Writer Guide for instructions. It contains three chapters on styles.Get it here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/PublicationsDan