From Doug <dmcgarr...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spell checker underlining
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 17:50:54 GMT
On 08/07/2012 09:43 AM, Gerrit Sch√ľnemann wrote:
> Hi,
> Whilst writing a text today, making a lot of typos, I realized that an
> update for the underlining functionality would be a good idea:
>
> It would be a nice feature if the misspelled word wasn't just
> underlined, but the difference to the nearest word from the dictionary
> was marked (maybe different colour underlining or different style).
>
> What is the general thought on that?
>
> regards
> GS

My thought is that underlining is sufficient.  An article in the
Sunday NY Times (5 August) entitled "Auto Crrect Ths" examines
reasons that this would be a bad idea. If the writer is unsure of
the word or its spelling, he can always go to Artha and look it
up.  (Artha offers various suggestions if the word is misspelled.)

The Times article is available at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/opinion/sunday/auto-correct-this.html?pagewanted=all

--doug