From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: Software assistance needed
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 20:50:22 GMT
Hi,

AOO is not designed to edit PDF. It has some capabilities but the results are not always satisfying.
PDF is not a format to be edited. Either copy and paste its content into a new file and redo
it, or ask the author to send you the original file.

If there are only some pages to be removed, you can use a PDF utility like PDF Toolkit together
with GUI for PDF Toolkit.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the mailing list. Do Not
reply to me personally but just to the list at <ooo-users@incubator.apache.org> - replies
to my personal email address will be ignored.

Since you are not subscribed to this list you may not see all the replies to your query.
To subscribe Apache OpenOffice mailing lists go to
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html

Regards,
Hagar

> Hi.  I have a Mac OS X  version 10.7.4 and I just successfully downloaded OpenOffice
thru my web browser Safari.  (I need to edit a PDF file, that is why I downloaded OpenOffice)).

> My problem:  I can't get it to work.  When I attempt to open my PDF file in OpenOffice
the text shows up as gobbledygook!  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  I am not a "techie" so
I need patient hand holding.  I am following a specific How To edit a PDF file (found off
internet) with OpenOffice and here are the steps and my status:

> 	1.  "After installing OpenOffice run the PDF Import Extension"   not sure I did that
right.

> 	2.  "Next, open OpenOffice Draw"     I could do that OK
>
> 	3.  "Once open, browse to the PDF file you want to edit and open the file"  I did this
but the document was gobbledygook.

> I basically need to delete sections of my current PDF file, so it should be simple huh?
 Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.  Thanks,   Nancy in Seattle