From Andreas S├Ąger <ville...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][CALC] String content to numeric value
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:55:07 GMT
Am 27.07.2012 07:32, Lei Wang wrote:

> In my point of view it is better to support more scenarioes to convert a
> text value to a number, such as decimal. Though different locale has
> different decimal separator, AOO can support decimal separator for current
> locale and standard decimal separator, ".". It will be more complicated for
> date format.
>
> What's your suggestion?

Hi,

=VALUE("1,234";"de-DE") is my suggestion. But that would be incompatible.

VALUE("1,234") returns different values in German and English versions
of MS Excel. This is inacceptable.

The current behaviour which converts unambiguous ISO and integer only is
a good compromise. Personally I would prefer #VALUE! over any implicit
conversion. Broken spreadsheets deserve to be fixed.
Just my 2 Cents,
A.S