From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Establish some rules of conduct
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 22:29:27 GMT
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Caesar <caesar@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 13:20:19 -0400, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote
> Re Re: Establish some rules of conduct:
>
>>On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Scooter C <scooter@scootersdesk.com> wrote:
>>> I agree 100% with Ceasar.
>>>
>>> Moderators are supposed to moderate, not complain that its too much work.
>>> Volunteering is not an excuse for not doing the work.
>>> Think where the Red Cross would be had the volunteers not done
>>> their assigned jobs, according to the RULES.
>>>

>>The point is that Moderators have no sticks, aside for rejecting spam.
>>We only have carrots.  Peer leadership, showing good examples, etc.,
>>are tools we have.  You have them as well.
>>
>>A code of conduct is not a bad thing to have, but please consider it
>>as something we might develop by consensus and point users to when
>>they've gone astray.  But don't expect that enforcement will go beyond
>>peer reinforcement.
>>
>>-Rob
>
> Are you saying that a moderator doesn't have the ability to expel and
> ban an email address?  If so then maybe this list ought to be
> reincarnated as a Yahoo list server group such as
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OOoWriters/

Email addresses are a dime a dozen.  Shop around and you might find
then for even less.

In any case, I note that more electrons have now been spilt due to
hand wringing over list conduct guidelines and moderation than were
ever wasted on the original conduct that lead to this thread.

I recommend we just end this thread and return to more focused and
purposeful topics.

-Rob