From Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Macro or its equivalent to replace double spaces with single space.
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:47:01 GMT
2012/7/17 Srinivasulu Bhattaram <bhattarams@gmail.com>:
> I am new to Open Office.
> InWORD 2003 (and also in WORD 2007),
> I have craeted macros to remove double spaces with single spaces and used
> them extensively..
> How to have an equivalent of it in Open Office writer?
>
> I do not want to go through   Find    Replace.... kind of thing.
> seena

What about letting a macro do the search and replace for you?

I just wrote this one, with inspiration from ”Useful Macro Information
For OpenOffice.org By Andrew Pitonyak”, which is a PDF that you can
download somewhere:

REM  *****  BASIC  *****

Sub RemoveRedundantSpaces
	Dim oReplace as object
	oReplace = ThisComponent.createReplaceDescriptor()

	With oReplace
		.SearchString = "  "
		.ReplaceString = " "
	End With

	While ThisComponent.ReplaceAll(oReplace)>0
	Wend
End Sub

This macro also takes care of tripple spaces and… well, it just
removes all spaces until there are only single spaces left. And it is
fast. Really fast.
I tested it myself, and it worked in all my test cases. Well, I didn't
test it THAT thoroughly, but still…

Much better than using the crappy macro recorder anyway. And shorter…

If you write the documents yourself, there is a simple way to prevent
double spaces in the first place, something like:
Tools → Options for auto correction… → Click the Options tab → ☒
Ignore double spaces

You can still make double spaces if you really want to, but it's less
likely to happen accidently.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ