From Art Scheel <asch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Copy/Pasting dates from HTML table to Calc formats wrong
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:56:29 GMT
I am not trying to concatenate the data.  I just want the date in the first
column left alone and the year in the second to also be left alone.

Also, I was wrong on the input data.  The date is not MM/DD format, it's
spelled out, ie: Dec. 04  as in 12/04 (no year given still).

The input data is a wikipedia table and the formatting changes because of a

My real issue, and I'm not 100% on this, is that OOo does not offer an
option to just paste the data sans formatting.  The data I am copying is
the table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers:_Americas

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Dan <elderdanlewis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Comments inline:
>

> Art Scheel wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to copy table data where 2 adjacent columns are dates.
>> MM/DD in one, YYYY in the next.  Obviously these are 2 separate fields.
>>

>      If I read this correctly, the cell containing MM/DD and YYYY are not
> formatted as dates in the table. Both of these are formatted as text. In
> your mind these adjacent cells represents a given date, and you need both
> cells to to determine exactly what date. In a spreadsheet, each cell having
> a date format contains all the information needed to specify a date. So,
> you would need to combine these two cells (MM/DD, YYYY) into one cell
> (MM/DD/YYYY) before copying it to Calc.
>

>  When pasting into OOo Calc 2.4.0, it formats the date in the first date
>> column by assuming the year is 2012.  Some of those date fields indicate a
>> date range such as 03/17-18 (March 17 through 18).  These get interpreted
>> as 03/17/2018 by OOo.
>>

>      Again, 03/17-18 has a range of dates. But a cell of a spreadsheet
> must contain only one date per cell. When you have a range of cells
> mentioned, you have to enter these dates in a range of cells in the
> spreadsheet. So first you ought to add rows (or columns) to the table so
> that there are enough cells to enter the individual dates. Then combine the
> MM/DD with the YYYY. Then copy to Calc.
>

>  I've tried pasting unformatted, but almost all browsers seem to add in
>> random CRLF in fields so when they get pasted, the row/column format is
>> lost.
>>

>      In other words, modify the HTML table until it matches what Calc will
> accept. Then copy that data.
>

>  I've tried setting all fields to be Text, but when I paste the data, it's
>> either ignored or overwritten.
>>
>> There appears to be no way to paste HTML data from a table into OOo Calc
>> as
>> pure text so there are no auto formatting attempts made.  If this is the
>> case, I would like to know how to submit a change/addition request.  If
>> I'm
>> just missing how to do it, I'll gladly thank whoever knows what I'm doing
>> wrong.
>>
>> I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask a question like
>> this, but I did not see it being against any of the list rules.
>>

>      No apology necessary. This is the exact place to ask questions like
> this. If you have more questions or replies, send them to this list. (Just
> don't sent them to anyone who answers your question.)
>
> --Dan

Molon Labe
"Come and take them"

"By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and
righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and
protection for their families."

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the
filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of
animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
-Eleanor Roosevelt