From Dan <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: registering
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:08:42 GMT
Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2012/7/23 Dan <elderdanlewis@gmail.com>:
>> Denise May wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, you are right about what I want to do, but I should have
>>> said that I'm using OOo for Mac.  I don't have an Options option
>>> under Tools.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to use spreadsheet info from another person to create
>>> a membership directory.  I think I need to convert it to base,
>>> but not sure. I usually only use text docs or spreadsheets.  I
>>> have used databases in the past in Appleworks and Bento.  This is
>>> quite a bit different.  I appreciate any and all help.  I've
>>> found several sources of tutorials, but none that I can quite
>>> "get" that explains how to convert the ss to a dbase. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Denise
>>

>> To convert a spreadsheet to a dBase file, you only need to save
>> the spreadsheet as a dBase file. Open the spreadsheet in Calc. Then
>> click the Save As icon or use File > Save As or use
>> Control+Shift+S. Name the file. The ALL FORMATS drop down list has
>> dBase as one of its choices. Select it, select where to save it,
>> and save it. Remember that doing this will only save the sheet that
>> you see. If you have more than one sheet in your spreadsheet, you
>> will need to select and save each sheet. If this is the case, you
>> probably should also create a folder to hold all of these dBase
>> files.
>>
>> --Dan
>>

>> <snip>
>
> It was possible to register a spreadsheet as a database in earlier
> versions if OpenOffice.org. Is that feature removed?
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

      Spreadsheets can be accessed using AOO just as it could using OOo.
Open Base, and select "Connect to an existing database". Select
Spreadsheet from the drop down list (JDBC is the Default value). Enter
the other information as required by the Base Wizard. This will register
the spreadsheet as a "database" whose values you can see when using the
F4 key.
      One potential thing to remember: you can not update the data using
Base. You will have to open the spreadsheet in Calc to do that. (Base
does not modify data from any spreadsheet.)

--Dan