From Dan <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Database Creation
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:58:24 GMT
Dale Erwin wrote:
> I've never used Base before... in fact it's been several years since
> I've done ANY database work and am feeling a little inadequate.
>
> The first thing I'm asked is whether or not to register the database.
> The Help facility has not helped me to understand just what it means to
> register it.  What does it buy me if I do... or if I don't?  Is it
> referring to the Windows registry?

      You might want to start with this chapter (Getting Started with Base):

http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/gs3/V3_3_revisions/0108GS3-GettingStartedWithBase.pdf/view

      If you look at Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org Base > Databases,
you will see one database listed: Bibliography. (It comes with AOO.)
When you register a database, you add it to this list. What you doing is
placing the name of your database and its location in this list. You are
doing one more thing. Type the F4 key in Writer or Calc, and the Data
Source window opens at the top. All the databases that you have
registered appear in this window. You can also interact between the Data
Source window and Writer or Calc.

--Dan