From Tamblyne <tambl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Establish some rules of conduct
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2012 17:15:37 GMT
On 7/8/2012 7:29 AM, Caesar wrote:

>> On 7/7/2012 3:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>> If this is a serious concern, it will be necessary to take any proposal and its
discussion to the ooo-dev list, where project deliberations are documented.  It might be easier
to publish a monthly FAQ about how the list works and what the guidelines are, rather than
having enforced rules.

>>> As a moderator, I am uncomfortable with my duties being expanded to monitoring
behavior around hot-button situations.  I would not want to act without a complaint being
copied to ooo-users-owner@ incubator.apache.org.  Unilateral action is not something I am
willing to accept an accountability for.

> Then perhaps you should ask yourself:
>
> 1) what are a moderator 's duties?
>
> 2) am I willing to discharge them?
>
> I prefer mailing lists because they offer "moderation".  Without
> moderation, then we degrade to Usenet.

I haven't been active in OOo for a long time.  I just kind of never got
around to unsubscribing from the old mailing list, and figured I'd
subscribe to the new one to see what direction things would go in with
Apache.

The "moderator's duties" on the old list consisted of weeding out the
spam.  It was never intended, or expected, that they would act as
babysitters.  Perhaps the expectations for the Apache project are
different?  Seems to me, though, if users are looking for hall monitors,
a web forum, rather than a mailing list, is the way to go.

Frankly, Back In The Day, the users list was too active for moderation
of every submission to be practical.  I'm guessing that wouldn't be an
issue anymore.

Tam