From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Macro or its equivalent to replace double spaces with single space.
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:28 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:26:21 +0100
"Niall  Martin" <niallandjenny@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> That's the sort of thing I used to do in Lotus Wordpro -- and similar for redundant carriage
returns --
> and find difficult to do on Writer.  Put spaces and carriage  returns etc in quotes or?
 If there is a simple
> way of doing it in find and replace it is really much better than setting up macros and
the like.  That's
> for techies not moderately experienced ordinary users.
>
> On 17 Jul 2012 at 18:21, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>
> Send reply to:  	ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
> Date sent:      	Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:21:42 +0100
> >From:           	"Rory O'Farrell" <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>
> To:             	ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
> Subject:        	Re: Macro or its equivalent to replace double spaces with single
> 	space.
>
> > On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:06:30 -0400
> > Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> > > That wouldn't help with text that is already written, that you're
> > > editing.  --doug
> >
> > When I have redundant double spaces, I use Find and Replace to search
> > for them and replace them.  Quick and simple - no need for any macros.

In Find box insert "  " (two spaces, no quotes).
In Replace box insert " " (one space, no quotes).
Check More Options does not have Regular Expressions checked,
Press Replace All.

End of paragraph marks are trickier - I usually use AltSearch from the extensions repository.
 OpenOffice has problems with paragraphs longer than 64K, so care is needed.  Usually I search
for double paragraph marks and replace with %%%% (or some other token not used in the file).
 Then I search for single paragraph marks and replace with a space. Finaly I search for %%%%
and replace with a single paragraph mark.  I use such a sequence when I download books in
plain text, before reformatting to suit my requirements.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>