From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Admin Guide or some help please
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 18:20:06 GMT
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 18:38:33 +0100
Mark Mc Nicholas <markmcn@section9.ie> wrote:

> Hi Drew,
> Thank you for the pointer, I genuinely believed that there would be more
> info in an admin guide,
> I'd try to donate some time writing some stuff up but I don't know the
> structure of the config files or anything so where to begin is a mystry,
> I've only used OO on my personal workstation so i've never had to look at
> this aspect of OO before
> Thanks for the help
>
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> > don't
> > central repo
> > work
> > > >
> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guidefor
> > can't
> > we
> > present
> > >
> > > Hi Mark
> > >
> > > Well this link works for me, just now
> > >
> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide
> > >
> > > The guide is a little old, but for the most part should still be valid.
> > >
> > > There are links on that wiki page for pdf and odf formats of the same
> > > gide, HOWEVER, the content in the wiki pages is IIRC more current then
> > > either the pdf or odt file.
> >
> > me again - but maybe that link to the pdf isn't on the wiki - here is a
> > link to what I believe is the last published pdf version, published for
> > 3.2 so like say a little bit out of date.
> > http://lo-portal.us/aoo/docs/AdministrationGuide_OOo3.2.0.pdf
> >
> > [fairly sure that is stored on the main webstie also, just can't pull up
> > the URL right now]
> >
> > //drew
> >

> > > As for openofficetechnology, they have been around for a good while. I
> > > can't comment from personal experience, though I can say I've only ever
> > > heard good things about them.
> > >
> > > I'd be remiss to not mention that Apache OpenOffice is made up of many
> > > parts, documentation being one of them, and these all require
> > > individuals to help or things simply stagnate. This admin guide is a
> > > good example, there is a great opportunity for someone to take the time
> > > and update the wiki pages when needed. While at this moment any time
> > > donated getting the odt source file in synch with the wiki pages would
> > > certainly be huge boost to the project overall.

You should also try searching the Forum at

This problem of deploying a standard configuration of OpenOffice across a network or enterprise
wide comes up regularly and is frequently discussed there.  I suggest trying the Forum search
(box at top right of Forum screen) with a few chosen keywords; you will find that queries
are usually quickly dealt with.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>