From Steve Ahlers <sahlers...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Establish some rules of conduct
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 08:09:08 GMT
On Jul 8, 2012, at 10:24 AM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> For ooo-users, moderators receive a special e-mail whenever there is a post from an e-mail
address that is not subscribed to the list.  The moderator has three choices:

> 1. accept the post (so it goes to the list, but it does not create a subscription),
> 2. reject the post (so a rejection notice is returned to the original sender),
> 3. ignore the moderation message and allow the post to simply disappear without any response
>
> In the case of spam, action (3) is taken, since there is no value in letting spammers
know their mail is reaching a working address.

> Note that all of the moderators receive the same notification, and any one of them can
act.  (3) is a practice used by mutual agreement among the moderators.  Generally, most posts
brought to my attention receive (1) or (3).

> I do not moderate content beyond deciding borderline cases between (1) and spam.  If
in doubt, I go with (1).

> Those are the only notifications that moderators receive, apart from direct e-mail communications
to ooo-users-owner@ i.a.o.  While I do read the list, I do not actively support posts and
questions.  That is not a moderator duty.  I can interact the same as any user here, of course.
 I had to subscribe the same as everyone else in order to do that.

> In most cases, I presume that the community of list users will work out what matters,
including sending the poster to a more appropriate place, providing links for repeatedly raised
issues, etc.  It is, after all, the purpose of the list to have a peer-supported structure.

> If someone finds something very objectionable happening, they can bring it to moderator
attention by sending an e-mail to ooo-users-owner@ incubator.apache.org.  I don't consider
any active intervention unless there is a specific request.

> And, as I said before, although moderators can unsubscribe an user there is no barrier
to their resubscription.  The moderators have no technical means to ban a subscriber.

> Furthermore, moderators are volunteers the same as any other subscribers.  (Moderators
are not automatically subscribed, as far as I know.  I had to subscribe the same as anyone
else.)

> That is the limit on the technical means available to moderators.  If a different arrangement
is required, it needs to be taken to ooo-dev@ i.a.o where project policies and technical approaches
are determined.

> - Dennis

discussion to the ooo-dev list, where project deliberations are documented.  It might be easier
to publish a monthly FAQ about how the list works and what the guidelines are, rather than
having enforced rules.

>>> As a moderator, I am uncomfortable with my duties being expanded to monitoring
behavior around hot-button situations.  I would not want to act without a complaint being
copied to ooo-users-owner@ incubator.apache.org.  Unilateral action is not something I am
willing to accept an accountability for.

> Then perhaps you should ask yourself:
>
> 1) what are a moderator 's duties?
>
> 2) am I willing to discharge them?
>
> I prefer mailing lists because they offer "moderation".  Without
> moderation, then we degrade to Usenet.

Well said Dennis!

The horse is dead let's stop beating it!

Stev