From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Admin Guide or some help please
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 17:26:03 GMT
On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 17:53 +0100, Mark Mc Nicholas wrote:
> Hi All,
> We're looking at deploying OO in our company many work stations and I don't
> need the exercise of going around to all the workstations setting the
> default file format etc.
> I read on oooforum.org that this could be done by setting up a central repo
> of the config files and syncing them to the workstations. This would work
> however there is no info on how to this.
> I've looked here
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guidefor
> an admin guide but there appears to be nothing.
> I've seen this product "http://openofficetechnology.com/" however we can't
> afford it at the min. I've had a hard enough time convincing my bosses we
> should give OO a try but if there is no admin documentation I can present
> to them then the idea is dead before it starts
> Can anyone please help on this one
> Cheers
> Mark

Hi Mark

Well this link works for me, just now
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide

The guide is a little old, but for the most part should still be valid.

There are links on that wiki page for pdf and odf formats of the same
gide, HOWEVER, the content in the wiki pages is IIRC more current then
either the pdf or odt file.

As for openofficetechnology, they have been around for a good while. I
can't comment from personal experience, though I can say I've only ever
heard good things about them.

I'd be remiss to not mention that Apache OpenOffice is made up of many
parts, documentation being one of them, and these all require
individuals to help or things simply stagnate. This admin guide is a
good example, there is a great opportunity for someone to take the time
and update the wiki pages when needed. While at this moment any time
donated getting the odt source file in synch with the wiki pages would
certainly be huge boost to the project overall.

Best wishes,

//drew