From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: AOo fails to open a M$ Word 2010 document...
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:41:15 GMT
It is not a bug, but it is a difference.

MICROSOFT OFFICE BEHAVIOR

I just opened that document, with name PERENNIAL.doc successfully in Microsoft Word 2013 Preview
(x64 to my surprise) and in Word 2010.

In Word 2007 SP3, there were reports that the attempt to treat the document as WordPerfect
(which also used the .DOC extension) failed, but then it opened just fine in "Compatibility
Mode."

Word 2003 reported that it could not handle the file with a couple of converters and said
that another converter was needed.  (That had me thinking that I may not have installed the
Compatibility Pack on this one.)  I selected OK for download and installation of a needed
converter.  It finally failed attempting to open the file as text.
   I confirmed that the Word 2003 Compatibility Pack (which supports OOXML) was installed.
 But apparently the Word 2003 sniffer for file format doesn't detect OOXML and use the correct
converter when loading a .DOC file.

THE DIFFERENCE

Microsoft Office does not rely on file extensions exclusively.  It also sniffs the file to
determine what the real format is, if possible.  (The OOXML standard does not even specify
file extensions.)  In the case of Word 2007, Word 2010, and Word 2013 Preview, this works
fine.

THE IMPROVEMENT FOR AOOi

It would be useful to have the AOOi code that opens non-ODF documents (and ODF file extensions
for that matter) to sniff the document and determine the actual case better than it does.

 - Dennis

PS: e-letter may be pleased to learn that Office 2013 Preview appears to produce and consume
ODF 1.2 documents quite nicely.  This includes Excel now using OpenFormula when saving a document
as ODF, and the few tests I've run open beautifully in LibreOffice Calc. (I haven't tried
AOOi Calc interoperability testing yet.  That's done on a different computer.)