From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject Time for an ooo-users FAQ? (was re: Great E-mail addendum)
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:08:04 GMT
I recall from old Usenet days that it is often very useful to have a stock FAQ message that
is posted from time to time (not more than monthly).

In the case of ooo-users, I suspect having it on a web/wiki page would also be a good idea.
 That could be linked in the e-mail addendums/signatures for responses to new/unsubscribed
posters.

The business about how to subscribe and see responses to a non-subscriber request is something
that should have prominence in such a FAQ.

Are there other tidbits that should be combined into a list FAQ (apart from some gentle etiquette
suggestions)?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Hagar Delest [mailto:hagar.delest@laposte.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:56
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Great E-mail addendum

+1.

Had not seen it because it's gray in the signature. Really nice!
I'll steal that too...

Hagar
Le dim. 15 juil. 2012 20:11:52 CEST, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> a
écrit :

> @Larry,
>
> Your "As a courtesy ..." addendum is terrific.  I admire how it encourages participation
on the list and not sinking into requests for personal support.

> I am going to steal that, although I am thinking of replacing the "To subscribe ..."
sentence with something like:

 Send from the e-mail address that you want to receive mail from the list.  Carefully follow
the confirmation instructions in the reply that you will receive from ooo-users-help@ incubator.apache.org.

 There are also alternatives for viewing lists that do not require e-mail delivery."