From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [Calc] Feature request: Change default cell width from 2,27cm to 2,50cm
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 02:20:58 GMT
On 06/02/2012 11:54 AM, Niall Martin wrote:
> 2.54 cm to the inch, it certainly is by law. It follows from
> legislation in the 80s, I think, which defined the UK yard as 0.9144
> metres exactly.  If you do your arithmetic that leads to 2.54 cm to
> the inch, exactly.

Well not *exactly* - it depends upon how many decimal places you'd care
to use, which country (most do abide by SI Units - BIPM, NIST ect), and
which law & which reference.

<http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/appenB.html>

1 ft = (1200/3937) m

1200/3937 = 0.3048006096

=(1200/3937)/12
 = 0.0254000508

And of course there is the infamous '0.02540005'...

For legal and practical purposes, in most cases, 1 inch = 2.54
centimeters. And yes, I've already responded to Mike regarding this.
However, please keep in mind that your response is country centric, and
most likely refers to:
<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/72/section/1>
But that "legislation" is (again) country specific and goes back to my
original comments:
You see the problem? You call it tamatoe, I call it tomato...

[OT] Btw I pronounce 'River Thames' as th-ames (same as James) insead of
'tems/tĕmz/temmz'. I suppose there are several explainations for this
(none in law that I know of), but I quite like this one:
<http://www.proto-english.org/l10.html>
Any yes, all of this has been discussed/debated/departed on the old OOo
lists. So my recommendation is to let it be.
 :-)