From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [Calc] Feature request: New UI like Google Docs
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 02:44:11 GMT
On 06/01/2012 05:15 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 06:41 AM, Dwayne Henderson wrote:
>> I like what I'm hearing, thanks Tony and Kevin!
>>
>> I say we start by:
>>
>> 1. Removing the majority of details from our icons, making them monochrome
>> and perhaps slightly reshaping some of them (I could do this if noone else
>> wants to)
>>
>> 2. Removing the gradients, replacing them with light shades of grey and
>> blue (with subtle slightly darker outlines when it's necessary to separate
>> things)
>>
>> 3. Reducing the two icon / dropdown bars to just one
>> 3.1. Making Calc track which icons / dropdowns are most popular so we know
>> which ones to display (and so we can base our UI on our own data and not
>> just blindly copy Google's)
>
> Right... and of course all of that will comply with:
> <http://www.openoffice.org/ui/accessibility/>
>
> These might be of further interest:
> <http://www.google.com/google-d-s/accessibility/documents.html>
> <http://accessibility.psu.edu/googledocs>
>
> I suggest if you folks wish to do this, that you implement as a 'theme'
> that the user can choose to use if they wish. If you intend to make it
> the default, then I reckon that you'll have considerable issues (user
> drain being one of them).
>
> Gary

Sorry, forgot to add that you guys can also revisit the reaction to the
'ribbon' interface as well:

<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/1FC9404025D474E8CC25760F0001674E>
[Open-source users revolt over OpenOffice ribbon UI]

<https://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/openoffice-users-just-say-no-to-a-microsoft-like-ribbon-interface/3649>
[OpenOffice users: Just say no to a Microsoft-like Ribbon interface]

You can of course use your favorite search engine to find more...