From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [Calc] Feature request: New UI like Google Docs
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 00:15:49 GMT
On 05/29/2012 06:41 AM, Dwayne Henderson wrote:
> I like what I'm hearing, thanks Tony and Kevin!
>
> I say we start by:
>
> 1. Removing the majority of details from our icons, making them monochrome
> and perhaps slightly reshaping some of them (I could do this if noone else
> wants to)
>
> 2. Removing the gradients, replacing them with light shades of grey and
> blue (with subtle slightly darker outlines when it's necessary to separate
> things)
>
> 3. Reducing the two icon / dropdown bars to just one
> 3.1. Making Calc track which icons / dropdowns are most popular so we know
> which ones to display (and so we can base our UI on our own data and not
> just blindly copy Google's)

Right... and of course all of that will comply with:
<http://www.openoffice.org/ui/accessibility/>

These might be of further interest:
<http://www.google.com/google-d-s/accessibility/documents.html>
<http://accessibility.psu.edu/googledocs>

I suggest if you folks wish to do this, that you implement as a 'theme'
that the user can choose to use if they wish. If you intend to make it
the default, then I reckon that you'll have considerable issues (user
drain being one of them).

Gary