From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Space before every line
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:23:21 GMT
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Grand@me.com> wrote:
> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Grand@me.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Kevin,

>>> I already thought the same. Regular expressions are mighty, but only
>>> (guessed) 5% of the users understand it (as with many mighty things). My
>>> first idea was to add buttons which add the 'coded' entries tothe
>>> expression, e.g.: Button 'Space' adds '\n' when pressed to the text field.
>>> Same for 'Start of Line' adding '^'. Much more to be defined, may someone
>>> knowing regular expressions well list more of them.
>>> Another way would be to allow tokens like <Space> which get translated
>>> '\n' internally before using the expression, but then the user would again
>>> have to remember multiple tokens and how they are spelled (need to be
>>> valid, possible errors which need to be handled).
>>> Maybe a mix of both, press button 'Space' adds the (human readable) token
>>> <Space> which itself is not editable (represents a single character).
>>> Hmmm...
>>>

>> Have you seen what the SlickEdit coding editor has?  Here is their
>> search dialog:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~robweir/slickedit-re-dialog.png
>>
>> So you can click a button to pop out a list of common RE patterns.
>
> Interesting. What is inserted into the text field, then? Some
> human-readable tokens, or the RE ones?

It inserts the RE codes.  So you would still need to know some RE
syntax to work with groups, etc.

The other approach -- and I think this is theoretically possible  --
is to have the user define a search pattern by example and counter
example.  But this might be too slow.

Even among programmers RE knowledge is imperfect and they sometimes
operate in unexpected ways.  So even some sort of live preview could
help, e.g., a window that shows the kind of things that will be
matched before you run your search and replace operation.

-Rob