From Mikkel Bang <facebookman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Importing back improvements from LibreOffice
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 20:25:34 GMT
2012/6/4 drew <drew@baseanswers.com>

> What? Look each group, all groups form a culture, there is one forming
> here and there is one forming at the other project. It has nothing to do
> with where the members of the group come from, both projects, both
> groups of people are fairly diverse as individuals.

Let's reserve the definition of a culture to real cultures. Not some
fictive "you and I form one culture, Tony and I another, the same for
Dwayne and I, Tony and Dwayne, you and Tony and you and Dwayne" type of
nonsense.

Your argument that these groups cannot join forces because they come from
different places code-wise is the kind of xenophobic and bigoted
close-mindedness this project, and the whole open source community for that
matter, could do without.

> There are also some real differences at play here - many of those
> differences are technical in nature, some are of a business model type
> and others are just colloquial in nature, but they are all valid
> differences of opinion between intelligent individuals.

These are small differences. Differences that are easily set aside (all is
fair in love and war) - if both parties want it enough - if both parties
care more about creating the world's finest office suite than they do
sowing disunity, flaunting their egos, or showcasing their hatred for a
third party (Oracle) that isn't even around any more.

Right now there is no guarantee that either project is going to thrive,
> I hope that both do. One thing that I am sure of is that trying to treat
> either as some how stunting the other, or of not being legitimate in and
> of their own efforts will harm both in the long run.

That was never the argument either. The argument was that since these two
projects are almost identical - rather than keeping them apart and
developing two mediocre products, we should join them together to develop
one extraordinary product.

Mikkel