From Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Calc] Feature request: Change default cell width from 2,27cm to 2,50cm
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 18:22:38 GMT
2012/6/2 Mike Scott <mike@scottsonline.org.uk>:
> On 02/06/2012 05:01, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> On 05/30/2012 03:28 PM, Dwayne Henderson wrote:
>>>
>>> Why is the default cell width in OOo 2,27cm?
>>

>> Actually mine (I suppose you are referring to _column_ width) is:
>> 0.89"
>> which works out to be:
>>
>> 2.2606 cm (1" = 2.540005cm)
>
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> ?? IIRC 1 inch is /exactly/ 2.54cm. I've no idea where your figure might
> come from!
>

> --
> Mike Scott
> Harlow, Essex, England

In USA 1893, they introduced this ”US survey inch” (also known as
”Mendenhall inch”) and used it for a few decades. It was 25.40005 mm.
They abandoned it in 1959 for the international inch, which was
defined as 25.4 mm in 1958. I just wonder why they defined a new inch
when the metric systems had been around for quite a few decades, but I
guess I don't need to know that…

In my country, we used a couple of different inches (and other even
stranger units) many decades ago. We had ”verktum” which was 24.7420
mm (a Swedish foot/12) and later the decimal inch (”decimaltum” –
”tum” means ”inch”, by the way), which was 29.6904 mm (a Swedish
foot/10). Decimal inches was used only for a decade: 1879–1889. It was
then gradually abandoned for the metric system. So it seems like we
used the metric system for about 120 years by now, so I guess the inch
guys are a somewhat behind… ☺

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ