From Johnny Rosenberg <>
Subject Re: Space before every line
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:48:19 GMT
2012/6/28 Rob Weir <>:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Armin Le Grand <> wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>> Kevin Grignon <> wrote:
>>> KG01-see comments inline.
>>> KG01 - Why is this so complicated.  Such system language hides the power of
>>> the tool. The tool should understand natural language inputs.
>> I already thought the same. Regular expressions are mighty, but only
>> (guessed) 5% of the users understand it (as with many mighty things). My
>> first idea was to add buttons which add the 'coded' entries tothe
>> expression, e.g.: Button 'Space' adds '\n' when pressed to the text field.
>> Same for 'Start of Line' adding '^'. Much more to be defined, may someone
>> knowing regular expressions well list more of them.
>> Another way would be to allow tokens like <Space> which get translated to
>> '\n' internally before using the expression, but then the user would again
>> have to remember multiple tokens and how they are spelled (need to be
>> valid, possible errors which need to be handled).
>> Maybe a mix of both, press button 'Space' adds the (human readable) token
>> <Space> which itself is not editable (represents a single character).
>> Hmmm...
> Have you seen what the SlickEdit coding editor has?  Here is their
> search dialog:
> So you can click a button to pop out a list of common RE patterns.
> But this is more of an aid to someone who already understands RE's.
> I'm not sure we can do much to make this conceptually much easier for
> end users, since regular expressions have a certain amount of
> essential complexity.  Or would it make sense to support more than one
> RE variation, maybe full RE, but also DOS-style with only * and ?
> qualifiers?
> -Rob

I would guess that a non-regular-expression search and replace
dialogue that supports things like \n, \t and maybe those joker
characters would be enough for most users. Maybe with the addition of
characters for page break and other types of breaks. Those could be
available in a listbox or something.

Maybe ”\n” would not be an obvious syntax for non programmers, so
another approach would probably be something like [newline],
selectable in a list box.

For example, the user want to find a space after a new line:
1. Select ”New line” in the list box, click ”Add” (or whatever a
proper name for the button would be) or just double click ”New line”
in the list box.
2. The entry field now looks like: [newline] (or maybe <newline> or
whatever is decided to be a good syntax).
3. The user press the space key or select ”Space” from the list box.

When something is selected from the list box, the focus should remain
in the input field, so the user can enter more stuff there without
moving focus.

Of course regular expressions doesn't have to be removed. Adding a
feature doesn't necessarily mean removing another feature.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg