From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Export to PDF
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:00:09 GMT

On Jun 27, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:

> On 6/27/2012 6:18 AM, Shan Zhu wrote:
>> You can try to merge the 3 OOo files first, then select menu item File ->
>> Export as PDF to generate one PDF file.
>> To merge the 3 files, if they are .odt file (or any other format can be
>> edited in Writer), you can follow the steps below:
>> 1. Create a new file in Writer.
>> 2. Select menu Insert->Section... .
>> 3. In "Insert Section" dialog, click "Link" checkbox to make it checked,
>> then the "File name" editbox will be enabled.
>> 4. Click the button beside "File name" editbox, then select one file you
>> want to merged in your file system, click "Insert" button.
>> The first file will be inserted to current file.
>> 5. Repeat step2-4 to insert other 2 files.
>> Then you can use File -> Export as PDF to gernerate PDF in one file.
>>
>> If your files are .odp, copy all slides into one file would be okay.
>>
>> Hope that I did not misunderstand your requirement.
>
> I think you understood it correctly.  The problem with merging the files is that I seem
always to lose some of the formatting, including page numbering options, and have to then
spend hours of cosmetic editing (It's 249 pages).  The only reason they are in 3 different
files is to accommodate the page numbering.  One file has no page numbers, one file has lower-case
roman numerals and one has regular arabic numerals.

> The reason I have not put them all into one file and then done all the work necessary
to get the page numbers right, is that I collaborated with another author on this work and
the other author uses MS Office and some things just don't translate properly between the
two.

> I have a pdf utility program that, using a virtual printer, will create pdf files and
save them and merge them, but this program does not allow me to embed the fonts the way OOo
Writer's Export PDF does.

> There is an open-source pdf utility that will merge pdf files.  It is called PDF Architect,
but unfortunately it is still under development and in it's current state will not handle
files this big.  I was able to merge the two smaller files and the embedded fonts did seem
to remain intact, so this will be a great help... some day.

You might try Apache PDFBox. It has a merger utility.

http://pdfbox.apache.org/commandlineutilities/PDFMerger.html

Regards,
Dave