From Dale Erwin <d...@casaerwin.org>
Subject Re: Export to PDF
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:20:11 GMT
On 6/27/2012 6:18 AM, Shan Zhu wrote:
> You can try to merge the 3 OOo files first, then select menu item File ->
> Export as PDF to generate one PDF file.
> To merge the 3 files, if they are .odt file (or any other format can be
> edited in Writer), you can follow the steps below:
> 1. Create a new file in Writer.
> 2. Select menu Insert->Section... .
> 3. In "Insert Section" dialog, click "Link" checkbox to make it checked,
> then the "File name" editbox will be enabled.
> 4. Click the button beside "File name" editbox, then select one file you
> want to merged in your file system, click "Insert" button.
> The first file will be inserted to current file.
> 5. Repeat step2-4 to insert other 2 files.
> Then you can use File -> Export as PDF to gernerate PDF in one file.
>
> If your files are .odp, copy all slides into one file would be okay.
>
> Hope that I did not misunderstand your requirement.

I think you understood it correctly.  The problem with merging the files
is that I seem always to lose some of the formatting, including page
numbering options, and have to then spend hours of cosmetic editing
(It's 249 pages).  The only reason they are in 3 different files is to
accommodate the page numbering.  One file has no page numbers, one file
has lower-case roman numerals and one has regular arabic numerals.

The reason I have not put them all into one file and then done all the
work necessary to get the page numbers right, is that I collaborated
with another author on this work and the other author uses MS Office and
some things just don't translate properly between the two.

I have a pdf utility program that, using a virtual printer, will create
pdf files and save them and merge them, but this program does not allow
me to embed the fonts the way OOo Writer's Export PDF does.

There is an open-source pdf utility that will merge pdf files.  It is
called PDF Architect, but unfortunately it is still under development
and in it's current state will not handle files this big.  I was able to
merge the two smaller files and the embedded fonts did seem to remain
intact, so this will be a great help... some day.

--
Dale Erwin
Lurigancho, Lima 15 PERU

http://leather.casaerwin.org