From David B Teague sr <davidbtea...@comporium.net>
Subject Re: Can you help me?
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:04:34 GMT

MS office is stable YES.

OO.o are quite stable and useful.  I have not had stability problems
with ANY recent version of OpenOffice.org.

I have found very little that I cannot do with OO.o that I can do with
MS Office. And I the incredible price of OO.o is exactly right" $0.00,
less than the $200, to $500 cost of MS Office (depending on the version
and feature set.)

I was a user of of Star Office, and I have used OpenOffice.o,
LibreOffice, AND Microsoft Office since SO 1.0 and since  MS Word 6 for
Windows 3.1.

Do your pocket book a favor and avoid Larry's advice here, UNLESS you
are being required by an employer as I was when I wrote for Addison
Wesley, to use MS Word.

With Warmest Regards
David Teague
Emeritus Professor of Mathematics and Computer Sciences from Western
Carolina University,
I  speak only for myself.

On 6/13/2012 6:39 AM, Larry Moore wrote:
> Do yourself a real favor and stick with MS office. I have had several versions of both
OO and LO and they are a far cry from having the features and stability of MS Office.

> [...]
>> Subject: Re: Can you help me?
>>
>> Hi Marge,
>>
>> Yes, we can help you.
>>
>> But please make it easier for us and more useful for the archive by
>> writing for each topic a separate mail and put the topic into the
>> subject line.
>>
>> Marge Schlitt schrieb:
>>> I'm new to Open Office, and there are a couple of hurdles I can't overcome:
>>>
>>> 1.  How do I change the default font to Helvetica? I know how to change
>>> it every time I start a new file, but I want to have Helvetica every
>>> time automatically.
>> When a Textdocument is opened goto menu Tools>  Options. There to
>> 'OpenOffice.org Writer'>  Basic Fonts. This personal settings are used
>> for the default document template.
>>
>>> 2. How do I stop it from insisting that every time I enter a set of
>>> numbered paragraphs that they be indented instead of left flush?  I want
>>> to number things and place them where I want them, not where someone
>>> else thinks they should go.
>> Here two things come together. There is an automatism that changes
>> consecutive numbered lines to true lists. This resulting list has an
>> indent as default setting.
>>
>> Ways out:
>> 1. Disable the automatism: Menu Tools>  AutoCorrect Options>  Dialog
>> page "Options". Deactivate the option "Apply numbering".
>> 2. Do not type the numbering yourself but use a numbering style. Type
>> your first item without a number, open "Style and formatting" window
>> (e.g. via key F11), click on button "List styles", double click on one
>> of the predefined numbering styles. Right click on the style, click
>> 'Modify' and change the settings to your preferred style.
>>
>> If you will keep the automatically made list and only want to alter its
>> appearance, then right click a list item and choose "Numbering/Bullets"
>> from that context menu. In the dialog itself goto tab 'Position' and set
>> the indent as you want.
>>
>>> 3. Sometimes I have put some text into columns and then I want to change
>>> my mind. How do I undo the columns?
>> While cursor is inside such column goto menu Format>  Sections. Click on
>> 'Remove' and OK.
>>
>>> 4. How can I get it to lay out landscape instead of vertical? When I go
>>> to Format ->  Flip,  the Flip message for vertical or landscape is grey
>>> instead of black.
>> Look into the status bar. Right click the second field from left, likely
>> 'Default'. Choose 'Landscape' from there. Tip: When you double click
>> that field, you can alter settings like margins, header and footer area.
>>
>> There are a lot of information out there in the Web, which you will find
>> by a search engine. That gives you a quick access to the information in
>> the Wiki and the forum archive too.
>>
>> If you like a systematical way more, have a look at the "Getting
>> started" guides. For the very beginning it does not matter whether the
>> tutorials are for OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

nil significat nisi oscillat
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.