From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Can you help me?
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:08:15 GMT
Hi Marge,

Yes, we can help you.

But please make it easier for us and more useful for the archive by
writing for each topic a separate mail and put the topic into the
subject line.

Marge Schlitt schrieb:
> I'm new to Open Office, and there are a couple of hurdles I can't overcome:
>
> 1.  How do I change the default font to Helvetica? I know how to change
> it every time I start a new file, but I want to have Helvetica every
> time automatically.

When a Textdocument is opened goto menu Tools > Options. There to
'OpenOffice.org Writer' > Basic Fonts. This personal settings are used
for the default document template.

> 2. How do I stop it from insisting that every time I enter a set of
> numbered paragraphs that they be indented instead of left flush?  I want
> to number things and place them where I want them, not where someone
> else thinks they should go.

Here two things come together. There is an automatism that changes
consecutive numbered lines to true lists. This resulting list has an
indent as default setting.

Ways out:
1. Disable the automatism: Menu Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Dialog
page "Options". Deactivate the option "Apply numbering".
2. Do not type the numbering yourself but use a numbering style. Type
your first item without a number, open "Style and formatting" window
(e.g. via key F11), click on button "List styles", double click on one
of the predefined numbering styles. Right click on the style, click
'Modify' and change the settings to your preferred style.

If you will keep the automatically made list and only want to alter its
appearance, then right click a list item and choose "Numbering/Bullets"
from that context menu. In the dialog itself goto tab 'Position' and set
the indent as you want.

> 3. Sometimes I have put some text into columns and then I want to change
> my mind. How do I undo the columns?

While cursor is inside such column goto menu Format > Sections. Click on
'Remove' and OK.

> 4. How can I get it to lay out landscape instead of vertical? When I go
> to Format -> Flip,  the Flip message for vertical or landscape is grey
> instead of black.

Look into the status bar. Right click the second field from left, likely
'Default'. Choose 'Landscape' from there. Tip: When you double click
that field, you can alter settings like margins, header and footer area.

There are a lot of information out there in the Web, which you will find
by a search engine. That gives you a quick access to the information in
the Wiki and the forum archive too.

If you like a systematical way more, have a look at the "Getting
started" guides. For the very beginning it does not matter whether the
tutorials are for OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Kind regards
Regina