From Mike Scott <m...@scottsonline.org.uk>
Subject Re: (OT) Re: AOO, pdf and kindle
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 13:36:32 GMT
On 08/06/12 09:13, Mike Scott wrote:
> On 07/06/12 18:13, Bonnie Hendricks wrote:
>> Not sure I understand you, Mike. I an an author. To get one's book on
>> Kindle, one must upload it from their computer to amazing's Kindle
>> converter. No email involved. Just sending the completed file.
>> On Jun 7, 2012 9:53 AM, "Mike Scott"<mike@scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Email or direct upload, I'd be singularly unhappy at being forced to
> send all my reading material via anyone like amazon. I can't see any
> reason at all why one shouldn't upload directly (over usb or whatever)
> something a kindle will handle. Makes me suspicious if they set up a
> system that forces an unnecessary dependency; sets my privacy-o-meter
> all atremble. (It's one reason I've shelved the idea of buying one.)
>
> Can any confirm please whether this is indeed part of amazon's scheme,
> and whether others may be differently managed?
>
> (This sub-thread is well OT for this list; if no-one actually knows the
> answer, I'll drop the subject.)

I'll answer my own question. Amazon will convert files (possibly at a
cost, depending on how they send the results back), or files can be
uploaded over usb. My apprehension was therefore groundless. (Although I
must say I'm surprised no-one has come back on this. Maybe the
intersection of kindle users, AOO users and and list subscribers is the
empty set :-)  )

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England