From David B Teague sr <davidbtea...@comporium.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice #12, LibreOffice #5
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 13:00:48 GMT
On 6/8/2012 5:54 AM, "Marra Ã…sheim" wrote:
> Let's not make it any more difficult than it is: LibreOffice stole from us. Now it's
time to steal some sh**t back!

>   Marra
Marra

Let me make it very clear. There was NO THEFT. You do both Apache, OO.o
and LibreOffice a disservice by such remarks hyperbolic though they may be.

The license under which OO.o was released is the Free Software
Foundation's General Public License, I don't remember the version. That
license allows ANYONE to receive the source code to a program released
under that license, modify it, and re release it, as binary, under the
exact same license, namely that the recipient has the right to sell or
give away a binary, and to receive the source at a cost no greater than
the actual cost of distributing the code.

*Accordingly there was no theft, and you and the Apache team are welcome
to anything in LibreOffice.*

I am a user of OO.o. and LibreOffice.  I have used each from the time
that this package was StarOffice, before Sun bought it and release it as
FOSS.

David B Teague
Emeritus Professor of Computer Science and Mathematics Western Carolina
University Cullowhee NC
Disclaimer: I speak ONLY for myself.

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.