From Dan Lewis <>
Subject Re: Complex numbers in functions
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 01:54:42 GMT
Easton, William wrote:
> I am having difficulties trying to do complex number calculations.
> First, it is a real pain to have to use functions for ordinary operations. I would like
to propose a simple switch that might pop up if a complex number were detected substituting
the complex versions of *,/,+,- for the real counterparts. Even more radical would be to do
the same for functions, but one might need a compatibility mode.
> However, I am finding that things like improduct(1+2j;3-4j) do not work.
> Advice? Thoughts?
> Thank you.
> Jim Easton
> 858-527-0240
       I would not trust IMPRODUCT() to do calculations:
they are not correct.
For example, I made this calculation:
=IMPRODUCT(3+i4,3-i4). The answer given was 9. But this is
just the product of the real numbers. The correct answer is
25 (3*3 +3*i4 -3*i4 +4*4).
       I also discovered that it may not work with
fractions: =IMPRODUCT(2+i2,0.5-i.5). Calc gives an error: #REF.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message