From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Complex numbers in functions
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 01:12:39 GMT
Easton, William wrote:
> I am having difficulties trying to do complex number calculations.
>
> First, it is a real pain to have to use functions for ordinary operations. I would like
to propose a simple switch that might pop up if a complex number were detected substituting
the complex versions of *,/,+,- for the real counterparts. Even more radical would be to do
the same for functions, but one might need a compatibility mode.

> However, I am finding that things like improduct(1+2j;3-4j) do not work.
>
> Advice? Thoughts?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jim Easton
> 858-527-0240
      Suggestion: While Excel uses semicolons (;) in its
functions, Calc uses commas (,):
               improduct(1+2j,3-4j)
      What help does not seem to tell you is that complex
numbers should be written in this form:
the  i or j used for the imaginary part of the complex
number should come first. Hence, your complex numbers can be
one of these: 1+i2 or 1+j2; 3-i4 or 3-j4. If you do not do
this, you will get  #NAME as a result.

           Try improduct(1+j2,3-j4). It should give you the
desired result.

--Dan