From "Niall Martin" <ni...@rndmartin.cix.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Calc] Feature request: Change default cell width from 2,27cm to 2,50cm
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 16:18:04 GMT
Scooter is right:  this is not the place for this debate, which I regret starting. In any case
it is
in danger of confusing the different requirements for unit systems -- needed  for scientific,

engineering, academic and like purposes  -- and informal units for particular purposes.  As
it
happens the founders of the metric system confused them too, but all that matters for
modern purposes is overall coherence:  everyone should use the same definitions, which
should be reliably reproducible, and that it should be easy to move from the very large and

the very small.  A good collection is to be found in Stephen Dresner: Units of Measurement,

Harvey Miller and Medcalf, 1971