From "Niall Martin" <ni...@rndmartin.cix.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Calc] Feature request: Change default cell width from 2,27cm to 2,50cm
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 06:12:37 GMT
The problem with that comment is what standard other countries are using.  The yard was
an imperial unit, based on a bit of metal kept in London, and until say Canada and India went

metric, their units were based on that.  But in the 80s it was discovered that the length
of the
bit of metal kept in London, the Imperial yard, had been drifting down over time, and the

legislation was based on an estimate of what that length once had been. I suppose the USA,

as usual a law unto itself, has done something else, or ignored the problem, but if it has,
its
measurements will still be based on the Imperial yard.  (I do know that their volume
measures are different from the Imperial units, but that is not at issue here.  Though, does

anybody know of another country still using the pound/foot measurement system?)

Best wishes