From Armin Le Grand <>
Subject Re: Space before every line
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:57:18 GMT
Hi Kevin,

Kevin Grignon <> wrote:
> KG01-see comments inline.
> On Thursday, June 28, 2012, Dan wrote:
>> Srinivasulu Bhattaram wrote:
>>> I have a text file, which has one space before every line
>>> How to remove this using search and replace option
>>> For carriage return or <Enter>, I learnt that we hould use "\n" (quotes
>>> not included)  and keep Regular Expressions on.
>>> But I do not know what is code for space
> KG01 - Why is this so complicated.  Such system language hides the power of
> the tool. The tool should understand natural language inputs.

I already thought the same. Regular expressions are mighty, but only
(guessed) 5% of the users understand it (as with many mighty things). My
first idea was to add buttons which add the 'coded' entries tothe
expression, e.g.: Button 'Space' adds '\n' when pressed to the text field.
Same for 'Start of Line' adding '^'. Much more to be defined, may someone
knowing regular expressions well list more of them.
Another way would be to allow tokens like <Space> which get translated to
'\n' internally before using the expression, but then the user would again
have to remember multiple tokens and how they are spelled (need to be
valid, possible errors which need to be handled).
Maybe a mix of both, press button 'Space' adds the (human readable) token
<Space> which itself is not editable (represents a single character).