From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Space before every line
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:55:18 GMT
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:45:54 +0000 (UTC)
Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Grand@me.com> wrote:

> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Grand@me.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Kevin,

> >> I already thought the same. Regular expressions are mighty, but only
> >> (guessed) 5% of the users understand it (as with many mighty things). My
> >> first idea was to add buttons which add the 'coded' entries tothe
> >> expression, e.g.: Button 'Space' adds '\n' when pressed to the text field.
> >> Same for 'Start of Line' adding '^'. Much more to be defined, may someone
> >> knowing regular expressions well list more of them.
> >> Another way would be to allow tokens like <Space> which get translated
> >> '\n' internally before using the expression, but then the user would again
> >> have to remember multiple tokens and how they are spelled (need to be
> >> valid, possible errors which need to be handled).
> >> Maybe a mix of both, press button 'Space' adds the (human readable) token
> >> <Space> which itself is not editable (represents a single character).
> >> Hmmm...
> >>

> > Have you seen what the SlickEdit coding editor has?  Here is their
> > search dialog:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~robweir/slickedit-re-dialog.png
> >
> > So you can click a button to pop out a list of common RE patterns.
>
> Interesting. What is inserted into the text field, then? Some
> human-readable tokens, or the RE ones?
>
> > But this is more of an aid to someone who already understands RE's.
> > I'm not sure we can do much to make this conceptually much easier for
> > end users, since regular expressions have a certain amount of
> > essential complexity.  Or would it make sense to support more than one
> > RE variation, maybe full RE, but also DOS-style with only * and ?
> > qualifiers?
>
> That is what MSDEV (Developer studio) does. It allows to choose between
> 'Wildcarts' and 'Regular expression', where the first one accepts simple
> '*' placeholders. An alternative for users, but limited. Maybe a good
> compromize...
>
> > -Rob

> >> --
> >> ALG

> --
> ALG

Perhaps a valid solution might be a rewrite of Find and Replace, simplifying it and allowing
it to use various tokens so that Regular Expression usage was completely concealed or even
disabled.

Then add (if permitted by the author) AltSearch,
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/search/node/altsearch
or advise its download as an extension; this is a much more powerful mechanism and which could
be available but out of the way of the inexperienced User.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>