From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Open Office Free
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:24:57 GMT
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:15:05 -0500
Amanda Tracy <mandi_t84@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings!I have Open Office 3.3, absolutely love the program, thanks so much:) However,
I pulled a rookie move and forgot the password I set for a document I created in OOo. Any
suggestions on how to recover said password and/or document contents? I didn't save the password
anywhere, have attempted any password I use or have used recently, and don't have another
copy of the document. I'm sure my chances of recoverring it are slim, but I thought it was
worth a shot. Oh, and, if it's relevant, yes, I have only a free version and while purchasing
any decryption software isn't in my near financial future; if such software exists, I would
be happy to know the name of it for future refrence.  Much appreciated,
> mandi_t84@hotmail.com

The encryption used in OpenOffice to encode a password protected file is very strong; experience
suggests that breaking it is a brute force method that may tie your computer up for days or
longer.  Don't waste your money on commercial cracking applications - they most probably won't
work.

If you have an idea of what password you may have used, try again, remembering that passwords
are case sensitive.  It shouldn't take long to try the various case permutations of such passwords.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>