From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Can you help me?
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 09:21:26 GMT
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 03:48:59 -0500
Marge Schlitt <margeschlitt@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I'm new to Open Office, and there are a couple of hurdles I can't overcome:
>
> 1.  How do I change the default font to Helvetica? I know how to
> change it every time I start a new file, but I want to have Helvetica
> every time automatically.

In the Help file: search for "Default Template"
and read entry "Changing the Default Template"

> 2. How do I stop it from insisting that every time I enter a set of
> numbered paragraphs that they be indented instead of left flush?  I
> want to number things and place them where I want them, not where
> someone else thinks they should go.

In the Help file: search for "Paragraph styles"
and read entry "Indenting Paragraphs"

> 3. Sometimes I have put some text into columns and then I want to
> change my mind. How do I undo the columns?

Select the columnar text and /Format /Columns, reset the column count to 1

> 4. How can I get it to lay out landscape instead of vertical? When I
> go to Format -> Flip,  the Flip message for vertical or landscape is
> grey instead of black.

/Format /Page : Page Tab, choose Landscape.

You should examine the various tutorials at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=71
and at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=74
for much useful information.

OpenOffice is Style oriented; you need to consider your use of formatting, encapsulate it
into a predefined Style and suddenly you will start to live in Formatting Heaven!  This won't
happen overnight and it may be a struggle to break free from habits acquired using other word
processors.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>