From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Space before every line
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:45:54 GMT
Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Grand@me.com> wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> KG01-see comments inline.

>>> KG01 - Why is this so complicated.  Such system language hides the power of
>>> the tool. The tool should understand natural language inputs.
>>
>> I already thought the same. Regular expressions are mighty, but only
>> (guessed) 5% of the users understand it (as with many mighty things). My
>> first idea was to add buttons which add the 'coded' entries tothe
>> expression, e.g.: Button 'Space' adds '\n' when pressed to the text field.
>> Same for 'Start of Line' adding '^'. Much more to be defined, may someone
>> knowing regular expressions well list more of them.
>> Another way would be to allow tokens like <Space> which get translated to
>> '\n' internally before using the expression, but then the user would again
>> have to remember multiple tokens and how they are spelled (need to be
>> valid, possible errors which need to be handled).
>> Maybe a mix of both, press button 'Space' adds the (human readable) token
>> <Space> which itself is not editable (represents a single character).
>> Hmmm...
>>

> Have you seen what the SlickEdit coding editor has?  Here is their
> search dialog:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~robweir/slickedit-re-dialog.png
>
> So you can click a button to pop out a list of common RE patterns.

Interesting. What is inserted into the text field, then? Some
human-readable tokens, or the RE ones?

> But this is more of an aid to someone who already understands RE's.
> I'm not sure we can do much to make this conceptually much easier for
> end users, since regular expressions have a certain amount of
> essential complexity.  Or would it make sense to support more than one
> RE variation, maybe full RE, but also DOS-style with only * and ?
> qualifiers?

That is what MSDEV (Developer studio) does. It allows to choose between
'Wildcarts' and 'Regular expression', where the first one accepts simple
'*' placeholders. An alternative for users, but limited. Maybe a good
compromize...

> -Rob
>

>>> Perhaps we could explore ways to provide such system-oriented syntax to the
>>> user in the context of the task.  In other words, update the UI design to
>>> include a way to evoke a cheat sheet, or even better, implement a way for
>>> the user to insert syntax using natural language, with the system
>>> interpreting behind the scenes.
>>>
>>> I suppose this is a broader usability theme that appears throughout the
>>> toolset. We should explore ways reduce the complexity of system-oriented
>>> command inputs and make advanced capabilities more consumable to less
>>> technical users.
>>>
>>> After all, this is a tool to help people capture their thoughts and share
>>> ideas - not a development environment.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?

>> --
>> ALG