From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Importing back improvements from LibreOffice
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 20:08:15 GMT
I think it is correct that non-essential differences between the products are surmountable,
with prospects for excellent interoperability if the differences between the projects could
be diffused.  As Hagar suggests, I don't think that is likely.

In open source work, forking is a feature.  And there is no self-interest and certainly no
altruistic purpose that seems to overcome that in this particular case.  So the differences
that Hagar notes are indeed determinative.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Hagar Delest []
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:43
Subject: Re: Importing back improvements from LibreOffice

Le lun. 04 juin 2012 22:25:34 CEST, Mikkel Bang <> a écrit

>> There are also some real differences at play here - many of those
>> differences are technical in nature, some are of a business model type
>> and others are just colloquial in nature, but they are all valid
>> differences of opinion between intelligent individuals.
> These are small differences. Differences that are easily set aside (all is
> fair in love and war) - if both parties want it enough - if both parties
> care more about creating the world's finest office suite than they do
> sowing disunity, flaunting their egos, or showcasing their hatred for a
> third party (Oracle) that isn't even around any more.

Small differences??? On the contrary, the license difference for example is a key point.
There are 2 projects with opposite business models: a copyleft LibreOffice and a permissive
license for Apache OpenOffice.

BTW, have you asked the same question on the LibO ML?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: