From "Rod Lockwood" <rodlockw...@provide.net>
Subject Re: Why Microsoft: Microsoft Excel vs. OpenOffice.org Calc
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 13:08:53 GMT
Learning curve? What learning curve? Calc works just like any other
spreadsheet. Just a few features that are different like there are no
‘ants’ surrounding an area that is to be copied, which is unnecessary
anyway.

Also more people use Excel because of marketing. Microsoft spends a lot of
money to tell people about the wonders of their products. But it seems to
me that more people are finding out about OpenOffice and abandoning
Microsoft products. This is why Microsoft is having a problem competing
with open source applications. At least, that is what I’ve heard. Some of
it from the news media.

Is that their only argument? A lot of people using something doesn’t make
it better. It makes it popular. Besides, Apache isn’t in competition with
Microsoft. Microsoft is in competition with open source. Also Calc can
import / export Excel spreadsheets or any others for that matter. That is
why Calc is better: It’s compatible with other applications. I cannot
remember what the technology is called right now, but it makes the whole
OpenOffice suite more flexible than proprietary applications.

--
Rod Lockwood <rodlockwood@provide.net>