From "Rod Lockwood" <rodlockw...@provide.net>
Subject Re: Open Office 3.4 problems
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 12:59:01 GMT
On Mon, 14 May 2012 15:32:16 -0400, John Boyle <jhnboyle788@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 5/13/2012 5:06 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> John Boyle wrote:
>>> "UPGRADING" TO AOO VER. 3.4 is TOTALLY
>>> OUT! It is obvious to me that it is NOT an "UPGRADE" but a COMPLETE
>>> REWRITE
>>
>> It is not a complete rewrite. Virtually all the existing 3.3 code is
>> still there; new code has been added, many bugs fixed and some
>> third-party libraries (not part of the "real" OpenOffice code) have
>> been replaced.
>>
>>> the reason for the effort was because the program was being dropped by
>>> its original developers
>>
>> Several OpenOffice 3.4 developers have worked full-time on the project
>> for more than 10 years.
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Andrea.

> To Andrea: If it was simply an upgrade, as all others in that line up to
> version 3.3 were upgrades, then you would not have to go in and
> completely rearrange what you have on your computer to that install an
> ALMOST completely different version of the program which would then take
> your past data! Sounds to me like too many people are jumping on this
> "Windows 7" mentality and making things as difficult as they can, yet
> with that excuse that they been at it for so long that they should know
> better than the users .AOO ver.3.4 is as close to a total rewrite as one
> can be and yet allow the data to the used in it! I don't have the time
> to play with my registry, nor all these other files that people had to
> jump Through the hoops to get this "upgrade" to work! If all these
> developers had been working on this project for 10 years, as was said,
> WHY couldn't they make it a simple install over all of the versions of
> OpenOffice that have been around? I have been urged to switch to Libre
> Office for the very same reasons I have just stated! I think that all
> the effort of 10 years work has simply been A intellectual playground
> and the common user has just simply been forgotten!:-( :-( =-O =-O

I am one of those users. The only problem I had installing OpenOffice 3.4
was the arrow keys quit working. Everything else seems to work fine. Did
you delete or rename your original folders in Program Files and in the
user profile/Documents and Settings? OpenOffice would have copied right
over them incorporating all of your old settings.

--
Rod Lockwood <rodlockwood@provide.net>