From "Rod Lockwood" <rodlockw...@provide.net>
Subject Re: Open Office 3.4 problems
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 18:22:19 GMT
On Tue, 15 May 2012 13:36:39 -0400, John Boyle <jboyle@harbornet.com>
wrote:

> On 5/15/2012 5:59 AM, Rod Lockwood wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 May 2012 15:32:16 -0400, John Boyle <jhnboyle788@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> To Andrea: If it was simply an upgrade, as all others in that line up
>>> to version 3.3 were upgrades, then you would not have to go in and
>>> completely rearrange what you have on your computer to that install an
>>> ALMOST completely different version of the program which would then
>>> take your past data! Sounds to me like too many people are jumping on
>>> this "Windows 7" mentality and making things as difficult as they can,
>>> yet with that excuse that they been at it for so long that they should
>>> know better than the users .AOO ver.3.4 is as close to a total rewrite
>>> as one can be and yet allow the data to the used in it! I don't have
>>> the time to play with my registry, nor all these other files that
>>> people had to jump Through the hoops to get this "upgrade" to work! If
>>> all these developers had been working on this project for 10 years, as
>>> was said, WHY couldn't they make it a simple install over all of the
>>> versions of OpenOffice that have been around? I have been urged to
>>> switch to Libre Office for the very same reasons I have just stated! I
>>> think that all the effort of 10 years work has simply been A
>>> intellectual playground and the common user has just simply been
>>> forgotten!:-( :-( =-O =-O

>> I am one of those users. The only problem I had installing OpenOffice
>> 3.4 was the arrow keys quit working. Everything else seems to work
>> fine. Did you delete or rename your original folders in Program Files
>> and in the user profile/Documents and Settings? OpenOffice would have
>> copied right over them incorporating all of your old settings.
>>
> To Mr. Lockwood and List: After hearing about all the problems people
> were having, with installing 3.4, I just simply did not even download
> it. WHY? I have Win 7-64 bit on this computer, which I could NOT install
> and had to have my local repair shop do the job! WHY? Because Win
> 7-Microsoft themselves were above board and TOLD everybody it would NOT
> just install over any older version of Windows! I give them credit for
> being upfront on that, and even my computer club said there would be
> problems and that you might have to even change your Hardware some! All
> the data was, of course, picked up once the programs were reinstalled,
> except I had to find on my Win XP machine, all my email addresses which
> WERE NOT picked up when my Thunderbird was reactivated. Having gotten
> somewhat singed by WIN 7, I am more sensitive to problems of installing,
> because The same problem, only worse happened to Seamonkey when they
> rewrote and put out Version 2, it simply was NOT compatible with the
> older versions of SeaMonkey and so I dropped that program, entirely.
> Now, renaming original folders and the user Profile and then having any
> of the keys NOT work does NOT give me any belief that a program is a
> [...]
I have Windows 7 64 bit and I did not install it over Windows XP. Which
would be impossible anyway unless you had XP 64 bit.

Be that as it may, your botched job of installing Windows 7 has nothing to
do with installing AOO. Windows is a proprietary operating system made by
Microsoft for profit. AOO is an open source application made by an
independent group of unpaid programmers who want to create a quality
program.

AOO is an upgrade, not a new installment. However, if you need to keep
things simple, uninstall your old LO or OO and do a fresh install of AOO.

I described the process (Installing Apache OpenOffice Over LibreOffice)
where I installed AOO over LO and have no problems other than having to
use the touch pad and scroll bars instead of the arrow keys. Mind you, I
was under the impression that it couldn’t be done, but I did it. And I was
half-asleep. And no, I am not a genius.

The process was not that complex. I simply made sure I had the previous
installments backed up before I installed AOO 3.4. When I did, I found
that there was no problem that would require my un-installing the new
OpenOffice or replacing the previous version(s).

Installing over OpenOffice 3.5 is even easier. You just take the defaults.

I hate technical jargon. So my instructions are simple and straight
forward. Perhaps you should read them to see if you can understand them.
If not, then you will be vilified.

Rod Lockwood <rodlockwood@provide.net>