From "Rod Lockwood" <rodlockw...@provide.net>
Subject Re: Not happy with the Google results
Date Sat, 12 May 2012 18:33:31 GMT
On Fri, 11 May 2012 21:28:52 -0400, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On May 11, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Alan Boba wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> Sorry Ron what you find surprising is, to me, expected. Like Chevy and
>> Ford
>> owners extolling the virtues of their preferred brand.
>
> Yes, you do get noisy "fanboys" on the web.

Most of the whining seems to come from the LO side, if you go by the
Google hits.

>> Presumably AOO is dedicated to improving its product and LO the same.
>> Portability of settings and features between the two is not going to be
>> focus for either.
>
> That's not necessarily true. This is open source and AOO is a community
> project. If someone wants to work on this feature for AOO all they need
> to do is go to the ooo-dev ML and ask how. I can only assume that the
> same would be true for LO.

Apache has "the Apache Way" policy, which sounds very reasonable and if
developers from LibreOffice wanted could contribute very easily.

> Don't let the rants of the fanboys get in your way. Both this ML and the
> User Forums (http://user.services.openoffice.org/.) will do our best to
> help.

I tend to be irritable as I get older and have no idea why there should be
a problem when LO was temporary and the developers can go in and make
their contributions to the new OpenOffice.

Anticipating the needs of the customer is very important. Apache should
have realized with people using LibreOffice as a temporary fix would want
to go back to OO and make it easy for them to do that.

I had wondered what would have happened if I had installed AOO into the LO
folder instead of the OO folder. I had reasons for not trying it, but I
just realized I have the original OO install backed up . . .

I tried using system restore to go back, but W7 failed . . . on all of the
restore points. >sigh< XP was slow, but it worked better, and now the 64b
version is no longer available. Anyway, I think I just figured out a way
around that. I could experiment.

Anyway. Now I have two or three possibilities. Try and install AOO over LO
or just move the User files from LO to AOO. (Which is what I am pretty
sure Dan was getting at.) By using my external drive, I might be able to
trick AOO into thinking it isn’t installed or I can just uninstall it (my
original OOo settings, etc. have been preserved) and re-install it over LO.

>> Having all the good features of both in a single product would be great.
>> That could never happen because "good feature" is subjective and while a
>> majority will agree on certain good features other good features will
>> only
>> be recognized as such by the minorities served by them.

You can always make the borderline ideas optional until you find out that
too few people use the feature. Unless the new option makes the other
obsolete. If there is a good reason not to do this (such as creating a
bug) then the reason would be documented and the option not implemented.
It really shouldn’t be that difficult to figure out.

>> To get the information you need your best result is likely to come by
>> posting in the forum of the product you're using asking how to import or
>> otherwise copy your settings. I think responding to Dan's questions
>> would
>> be heading down the right path.

Have done so.

> Only help should be offered here and not a battle.

Exactly.

> Regards,
> Dave

Later Sincerely,
Rod Lockwood
Rod’s Rants
Rod’s Belfry
Victorian Cosmos
My Facebook profile
webmaster, Pokémon Dungeon (White Phoenix)
founder, Gomorra Town Hall on Facebook
WhitePhoenix on IRC Chat
WhitePhoenixUS on YouTube and just about everywhere else
Support your local and online small businesses!
Feed the Pig.