From Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Total User confusion
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 15:32:05 GMT
Le 30/05/12 17:03, Dan Lewis a écrit :

Hi All,

Sorry to butt in, but Approach was way simpler to set up and get
something functional than anything OOo Base has ever provided.

>      It does take some patience for a while to learn the difference in
> the terms used. And it pays to be flexible.

Hmm, flexible as in "being able to do the splits, juggle 5 balls with
one hand, spit fire, and dance the tango on one leg all at the same
time" ? ;-)

To get the equivalent out of 30 minutes using Approach you would have to
spend several days and much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth to get
the same thing out of Base - the user experience just isn't the same -
period, and it ain't getting any better :

- dropped support for native mysql connections due to licensing issues;

- dropped support for the Oracle Report Builder due to licensing issues;

- non functional or incomplete ODBC connection implementations;

- no multi-table querying/update DBF support - complete opposite of
Approach - in fact DBF support in AOO Base is rudimentary, it was
actually even better supported under StarOffice 3-5.1 ;

- terrible JDBC query/retrieval performance via the UI or any of the
wizards, including mailmerge, for anything more than a hundred datasets
with 15 to 25 fields - even less than a 100 tuples can bring the app to
its knees ;

- paranoia inspiring instability of the integrated HSQLDB engine,
resulting in complete loss or corruption of databases after a few
hours/days of usage ;

Need I go on ?

But you can live with all of this if :
- you know how to manage/secure your precious data outside of AOO ;
- you know how program AOO to do the things that it just doesn't provide
via the GUI, or use alternatives ;
- you know how to use ODT/ODS templates and how to inject your external
data sources into them, either via the UI, or via separate programming
languages or document framework manipulation (php, perl, python).

I am perhaps harsh here, but for me, Base is in no way comparable to
anything like Approach, FMPro, etc.

Alex