From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installation
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 19:40:34 GMT

On 2012-05-15 1:08 PM  John Boyle wrote:
> On 5/15/2012 11:55 AM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
>> On 2012-05-15 12:05 PM  Richard Gravel wrote:
>>>      I downloaded oo 3.4 to instal over my (working) 3.3. Writer works for a
few seconds,
>>> then it crashes. It recovers, work again for a few seconds, and crashes again...
forever.

>>> I did a full de-install, downloaded a new copy, installed it, restarted the computer...same

>>> result.
>>>
>>> Working under Windows SP3.
>>>
>>> Richard
>>
>> Reset you user profile. For instructions see:
>>  http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426#p58403
>>
> To Mr. Gusaas: If this were a truely simple and straightforward upgrade, no one should
have
> to reset anything!

On most updates they don't.

> They never had to before, so why now?

A corrupt user profile is the most common source of problems with a currently installed version

or with a newly installed version. It is not normally required to reset it when upgrading,
but
is usually the first recommended troubleshooting step.

> Of what real advantage does 3.4 give anyone, who simply needs a really good word processing

> program and has found that most of OOo of any version, packs too much into itself for
most
> home users!!!!!:-\ :-(

One real advantage of updating to AOO 3.4 from previous versions of OOo is its security
updates. Another is bug fixes. Third is new features.

If you don't like Apache OpenOffice you are free to use something else.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com