From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Installing Apache OpenOffice over LibreOffice
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 01:16:29 GMT
Whoa Stop!

On 05/14/2012 06:43 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2012 13:25:37 +0000 (UTC) David H <zhotrum@live.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Rod Lockwood <rodlockwood <at> provide.net> writes:
>>

>>> Well, it worked. It still removed the old install of OpenOffice.
>>> I had to rename the LibreOffice folder under Users/<user>/ to
>>> OpenOffice.org, but after that everything went fine.
>>>
>>> However, the arrow keys don’t work. The touch pad moves the
>>> cursor around and I can use the rest of the keys, but not the
>>> arrow keys. The arrow keys on the numeric keypad won’t work
>>> either.
>>>
>>> Whether this is because I installed into the LibreOffice folder I
>>> don’t know.

>> dave@Daves-Home:~/en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i
>> *.deb (Reading database ... 184115 files and directories currently
>> installed.) Unpacking openoffice.org-debian-menus (from
>> openoffice.org3.4-debian-menus_3.4-9590_all. deb) ... dpkg: error
>> processing openoffice.org3.4- debian-menus_3.4-9590_all.deb
>> (--install): trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mime/packages/
>> openoffice.org.xml', which is also in package libreoffice-common
>> 1:3.4.4-0ubuntu1 dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by

The error is written for you.

>> I have removed Libre through apt-get purge but a remnant is still
>> there. I get a menu in Office- LibreOffice. I have tried but do not
>> know how to get rid of this remnant. Is this messing with my
>> install? How do I get rid of it?
>>

> Try Sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core
>
> Then delete your OpenOffice profile ad previous Libreoffice profiles.
> Easiest way is to open your Home folder, enable viewing of Hidden
> Files (Ctrl H in Nautilus) and then delete or rename .openoffice and
> .libreoffice.  Now reboot (perhaps not strictly necessary, but I
> always do it - remembering old Windows install problems).  Now
> reinstall AOO 3.4.  Hopefully all should now be well.

It seems that the "advice" (even in the AOO developer threads) is to rip
out/purge LO in order to install AOO. This is just plain wrong... LO
"advise" says the same about OOo/AOO.

Please... it's not necessary to remove *anything* with a linux install
of AOO - unless of course you can't figure out how to create a menu
launcher/link to /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice. AOO will exist
happily alongside LibreOffice (any flavor), and even older versions of OOo.

@Rod: No idea what you were replying to, or to whom, but your *only*
issue with the install it seems is attempting to install the
desktop-integration .deb. Don't.

The desktop-integration .deb (in OOo, AOO, LO) is, from a user
perspective, an antiquated piece of code that should have been replaced
long ago. Rather than providing independent /opt/ standard freedesktop
menus, icons, and setup, openoffice.org3.4-debian-menus_3.4-9590_all.deb
(and the others), the deb attempts to overwrite existing distro packaged
code. This has been apparent for years in OOo - and so we (users) live
with it and simply bypass any provided 'menus' deb file.

All you need to do is install the main /AOOen-US3.4/DEBS files, and then
create a menu/launcher to /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice - done.
Unless of course you also have an old install of linux OOo/go-oo
installed and do not wish to use/overwrite the user profile for that. In
this case (Ubuntu/Debian)

sudo gedit /opt/openoffice.org3/program/bootstraprc

and then modify line 5 to:
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.openoffice.org3.4/3
Done again.

You'll then be able to run multiple versions of OO (AOO, OOo, LO) at the
same time in parallel to each other. As an example, on this system I
have the following:

$ locate soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice.bin
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/soffice.bin
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin

I didn't have to "purge" anything to accomplish this.