From Alec McAllister <t.a.mcallis...@leeds.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Is there a way to do this...
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 11:03:56 GMT
Fowler tackles this in the "Stops" section.

He mentions two schools of thought, which he calls the conventional and the logical, with
the latter punctuating according to sense, i.e. putting the stops outside the inverted commas
except when they actually form part of the quotation.

The former appears to be more common in the USA and the latter in the UK, although neither
has ever been completely uniform in either place.

I was taught to punctuate according to sense during my education in UK schools, during my
Degree in English, during my training as an English teacher and throughout my career as a
teacher in the UK ... so it has probably been completely superseded by whatever haphazard
punctuation (or lack of it) happens to be current on this week's most fashionable chat-site.
 :-(

Alec McAllister
Leeds, UK