From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Open Office 3.4 problems
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 19:43:31 GMT
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM, John Boyle <jhnboyle788@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/13/2012 5:06 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>> John Boyle wrote:
>>>
>>> "UPGRADING" TO AOO VER. 3.4 is TOTALLY
>>> OUT! It is obvious to me that it is NOT an "UPGRADE" but a COMPLETE
>>> REWRITE
>>

>> It is not a complete rewrite. Virtually all the existing 3.3 code is still
>> there; new code has been added, many bugs fixed and some third-party
>> libraries (not part of the "real" OpenOffice code) have been replaced.
>>
>>> the reason for the effort was because the program was being dropped by
>>> its original developers
>>

>> Several OpenOffice 3.4 developers have worked full-time on the project for
>> more than 10 years.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Andrea.

> To Andrea: If it was simply an upgrade, as all others in that line up to
> version 3.3 were upgrades, then you would not have to go in and completely
> rearrange what you have on your computer to that install an ALMOST
> completely different version of the program which would then take your past
> data! Sounds to me like too many people are jumping on this "Windows 7"
> mentality and making things as difficult as they can, yet with that excuse
> that they been at it for so long that they should know better than the users
> .AOO ver.3.4 is as close to a total rewrite as one can be and yet allow the
> data to the used in it! I don't have the time to play with my registry, nor
> all these other files that people had to jump Through the hoops to get this
> "upgrade" to work! If all these developers had been working on this project
> for 10 years, as was said, WHY couldn't they make it a simple install over
> all of the versions of OpenOffice that have been around? I have been urged
> to switch to Libre Office for the very same reasons I have just stated! I
> think that all the effort of 10 years work has simply been A intellectual
> playground and the common user has just simply been forgotten!:-( :-( =-O
> =-O

Hi John,

I'm sorry you are having this bad upgrade experience.  I can say that
the upgrade experience from OOo 3.3.0 to AOO 3.4 was seen as an
important and common scenario, and that we tested this scenario in our
pre-release test cycle.  It worked perfectly in the tests.   And
considering that AOO 3.4 is being downloaded at an extremely high
rate, though we are receiving very few of these reports, suggests that
it is working correctly for most users as well.

Of course, we won't be happy until it is working for *all* users.  So
what we need to figure out is what is in common among the users for
which the upgrade is not working.  Once we identify the bug, we can
fix it.

Regards,

-Rob